American Locator strives to provide education and information to make work crew and public safety our joint mission and number one priority. American Locator, as part of Planet Underground, sees the excavator’s voice and insight as key to significant change and much more to be done after calling 811.
New! In Volume 33-1, our current issue, we bring you an up close, inside look into frank, informed and often contentious discussions from The Roundtable, a groundbreaking new annual damage prevention networking event filmed each December at Planet Underground. Over 100 individuals attended representing every segment of underground utility installation: excavation, locating, engineering/design, facility owners, product designers, software development and others. All stakeholders in damage prevention had an equal voice and a chance to express their wisdom and opinions on what needs to happen now and into the future to make safety a reality.
WHAT WE STAND FOR: Top positions for change and real industry action proposed by Planet Underground, drawn from conversations by Roundtable participants on six recurrent key topics including:
– Creating a standardized procedure for excavators to obtain maps.
– Designating a central repository and system of reporting for underground asset location data
– Developing a baseline national certification standard for locators, excavators
– Adopting a set of national standards for one-call laws
– Requiring visual verification of underground utility lines before excavation
– Instituting mandatory reporting of all utility damages
FIND supporting and opposing viewpoints on these issues in select quotes taken from the event.
PLUS, find Part 1 of the full transcript from our featured final event panel and behind the scenes photos!